This is my favorite dessert of the past few months, it’s tangy, sweet, and has an amazing texture. Even better making them is very hand off and simple. They make a great centerpiece, in a pretty bowl, and are truly a showstopper and guest favorite.
The recipe is simple:
- 2+ cups of sugar
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 cup lemon or orange juice
- Start by making the syrup, add the fruit juice and sugar to a saucepan and then on high heat stirring constantly let it bubble until it forms a syrup. The syrup should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool.
- Wash the cranberries, and discard all squishy and weird cranberries. They taste and feel weird so double check your bunch.
- When the syrup has cooled put the cranberries in a container with a lid and poor the sauce over. The cranberries should be completely submerged, if you have a lot of extra space make more syrup. If there is only a little extra space stir in some water. If the sauce is too hot the berries will burst. Then put this mixture in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- When you take the mixture out of the fridge drain the cranberries from the excess syrup and toss into a ziploc bag with sugar and shake. Do this in batches adding more sugar as necessary. When they are completely coated put them on a tray to dry. Depending on the weather and climate they should be dry in an hour or 2. And they are ready to serve!